Witnessed:Borderlands, a narrative podcast, with Campside Media and Sony Entertainment
The tall-but-true tale of a charismatic outlaw, an iconic small-town sheriff, and the record-setting drug bust that ensnared them both. Listen…
You can also check out story notes, photos, and other tidbits at www.witnessedborderlands.com.
Many poor Texans are being short-changed on their right to be represented by a defense attorney in cases with potentially life-changing consequences.
A Celebrated West Texas Archaeologist Has Been Fired—and No One Will Say Why
Acclaimed for his research on the Big Bend region and the Porvenir Massacre, David Keller was suddenly marched out of Sul Ross State University in December.
Anti-Immigrant rhetoric fueled Sierra Blanca migrant shooting, advocates say
Two brothers arrested in connection with the shooting of migrants face scrutiny in a small Texas town.
A One-Man Army in the Battle for Sotol
A Marfa man is waging war against the Texas distillers claiming the right to make sotol outside of its ancestral home.
One of my favorites…
The Bicycle Thief
Police say James Clayton befriended
– then ripped off – many Austin bicyclists
- Texas Outlaw Writers
The Radicals of Old vs. Insurrectionists of New
Brave young women cast inspiring light on small town in wake of a bigot at the bar
- #TxED in the Media: Analysis and commentary on Texas education news.
- Editing and fact checking for Stranger’s Guide
- This is why my wife and I split up the kids and take separate family vacations (Matador Network)
- 12 Great Austin Trails: Parks and trails to run, hike and bike in Austin, whether you’re a beginner or a pro (Austin Monthly)
- Rough Rider: Tristan Uhl (Austin Monthly)
- Wheel Talk: Interested in trying your hand (and feet) at trail biking? Here’s advice on how to buy your first ride. (Austin Monthly)
All “Trails” articles PDF
- Lost&Found: UT grad discovers a city and creates the Maya Exploration center (PDF)
- The Pedal Pusher: Lance’s Latest Gig, The Ultimate Cycling Guide, and If You Build It…Activist helps grow cycling community one bike at a time (PDF)
- Let It Ride: How the city is making bicycling easier and safer (PDF)
- Not your dad’s Schwinn (PDF)
- Opportunity Knocks – Not Once, but Twice: A boy’s chance meetings with the stars of ‘Boyhood’
- Bike Thief Draws Four-Year Sentence: Clayton cops a plea deal
- The Bicycle Thief: Police say James Clayton befriended – then ripped off – many Austin bicyclists
- The Bike Stuff: The traveling 2008 Bicycle Film Festival rolls into Austin
- Living Maya: Austin becomes a hotbed of past and future Maya knowledge (PDF)
- About the Maya
- Filming the Code-Breakers
- Exile on 48th Street: Neighbors Applaud Action Against Rio Motel (PDF)
A Night at the Rio: Sometimes a War Zone Is More Like a Snore Zone (PDF) and What is a Nuisance? (PDF)
- Goodbye to Big Pink: The Rio Motel faces new ownership, a new name, and perhaps a new future. (PDF)
- Life After a Night at the Rio: The Rio Motel is gone, but the memories linger. (PDF)
- South Austin Secede!: Our second installment in a series about South Austin explores the roots of “Bubba” and the rivalry between North Austin and south of the river.
What’s in Store: Has Mini-Storage Become Mega-Storage? (PDF)
- The Fame Game (Charlie Gandy) (PDF)
- Southwest Showdown (PDF)
- Safe House? (profiles on HD 49 candidates and chance for Ds) (PDF), The Wild Card (PDF)
- Kitchen in the House? (PDF)
- Hot Buttons in Hays County
- Not Without My Water (PDF)
- Rural Riddle: How Should Hays County Manage Growth?
- The Road Goes on Forever (PDF)
- War of Words: Hays County Planning Battle Reaches Fevered Pitch (PDF)
- High and Dry: LCRA Approves Controversial Pipeline to Dripping Springs (PDF)
- Holding their Water
- Buildout Burnout (PDF)
- Paved with Good Intentions (PDF)
- Talking Swap (PDF)
- Ian Clarke: Making Information (And People?) Free: Intellectual Property, Résumé Building, Wearable Computers, and Other Tales From the …
- Design Track: Get Back to Basics, Back to the Topic
- It’s a Gas, Gas, Gas: South Austin’s Neon Transformers Light Up Life South of the River (PDF)
- When It Comes to Bike Theft, Austin Is Tops: Stop, Thief! (PDF)
The Medallion (Texas Historical Commission Magazine)
- Los Caminos Del Rio (PDF)
- Relive the Past in Goliad (PDF)
- Fort St Louis: Canadians Lend Their Expertise of French Artifacts (PDF)
The Good Life
Body Art: Tattoos, piercings and scarification in Austin
Repeat After Me: Herman the German